"But if I say, 'I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name,' his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot." - Jeremiah 20:9

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Love[in'] the Moment

Lately I've been learning what it really means to love. To be present. To be fully and totally submerged in what is going on around me and completing tasks to the best of my ability with my focus Heavenward. Of course, my focus isn't always on things above, in fact - lots of times I get caught up in wondering about other things, less important things, rather than being.

Being. In the moment.

Loving. In the moment.

Loving the moment.

1 Thessalonians 3:12 -"May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else."

Love. "We love because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19

"Living radical isn't about where you live- it's about how you love. It's about realizing - Love doesn't happen when you arrive in a certain place. It happens when your heart arrives in a certain place - wherever you are, right where you are, dirt road Africa or side street America. Because it isn't where we love. It's who we love. The reward of loving is in the loving; loving is itself the great outcome of loving. The success of loving is in how we change because we kept on loving - regardless of anything else changing." ----- Ann Voskamp. Author of "One Thousand Gifts."

My reward is seeing one of these precious ones smiling up at me with their tiny faces covered in rice. Their eyes smiling with gratitude and treasured innocence. My reward is hearing my name shouted out over the rumble of the motorcycle as we ride past little houses and playing children, and hoping that one day they can shout even louder the name of Jesus over the rumble of opposition and trials because they saw love displayed in their neighborhood.

When we love right where we are, in the moments we are given, when our love increases because of Jesus, we will evidently overflow. People will see - and, in turn, be blessed and hopefully love the way they once saw it before.

And is that not our calling? To love? To bless?

Indeed, it is.

For when we love and bless in Jesus' name, no matter where we are, we further His Kingdom and reveal His character so that others can see this Jesus we believe in.

And then there's value in cherishing the moments you have with those around you. Loving a little deeper each day - every chance you are given. Loving the moment.

Loving the moment of a child on my lap clapping their tiny hands to Jezi Renmen Mwen (Jesus Loves Me), or loving the string of notes that make up How Great Thou Art coming from our cook Beatrice's lips as she humbly serves us by cooking a meal or doing the dishes.

My prayer for myself and for you, dear reader, is that your love may increase and overflow to those around you. That you may fully be in the moments that you are given. Stretch our your hand. Help a stranger. Love in the moment.

Embrace the moments. Love each and every one of them.

Because life is a gift. And a gift worth loving.

1 comment:

  1. Cassidy, my beloved friend,

    This message is precious. Your heart has grown so much, and I find it amazing and wonderful what Jesus has done in and through you. Thank you for the reminder of our shared mission in Christ. Keep loving in the moments you have in Haiti. Every moment is important, and it is beautiful you see that.

    In His Immense Grace,
    Lex

    ReplyDelete